"How to Rock a Newscast" is the seventh episode of How to Rock. It first aired on Nickelodeon in the United States on March 17, 2012.
In this episode, The gang is in charge of the school news broadcast and both Kacey and Molly are trying to be Head Reporter. As the producer, Stevie gets to choose and picks Molly because she's generally more serious. Kacey feels slighted and sets out to prove that she can do a better job. Stevie decides she'll let them compete, but when Molly files a hard-hitting report about the chlorine content in the school pool, Kacey can't find a story big enough to match it. Desperate to beat Molly, Kacey goes live with a story based on hearsay and sends the whole school into a mad panic.
The group's journalism class has to put together a televised news show for their school. Stevie is in charge of putting everything together, from assigning the beats of each reporter to managing the stories that go on air. She assigns Kacey Simon the entertainment beat, Molly the investigative beat, Nelson and Kevin are the weather men, and Grace and Zander are the anchors.
Kacey really wants to be on the investigative beat so she finds a good story to break: she sees a fungus growing on Kevin and Nelson’s gym shirts and decides to share the story on air. The whole school goes crazy thinking there is fungus growing everywhere. But Zander sets her straight by telling her that it’s actually moldy jelly! Kacey doesn’t want to admit to Stevie and the rest of her class that her investigative piece fell through. But she finally confesses when the camera is on her, proving that it was the right thing to do.
In other news:
- Grace couldn’t read the teleprompter correctly, reading even the words that weren’t meant to be read aloud.
- Zander is a natural at being an anchor.
- Nelson and Kevin are the world’s funniest weathermen: “My forecast calls for an 80% chance of awesome.” – Kevin
- Molly has an investigative piece to top Kacey’s but after Kacey reveals the truth, Molly says she doesn’t have any news to share. But the camera pans up to the top of the flagpole where Andy is stuck up there.
- Cymphonique Miller as Kacey Simon
- Samantha Boscarino as Molly Garfunkel
- Max Schneider as Zander Robbins
- Lulu Antariksa as Stevie Baskara
- Halston Sage as Grace King
- Noah Crawford as Nelson Baxter
- Christopher O'Neal as Kevin Reed
- Kirk Fox as Mr. March
- Jacob Houston as Andy Bartlet
- Joey Luthman as Craig Kronberg
- HaleyAnn Johnson as Dahlia
- In the original novel, Kacey was an advice columnist on a school news broadcast. She had her own segment called "Simon Says".
Zander: Well, that's all the time we have for today.
Grace: I'm Grace King, and I'm Zander Robbins. Have a great day!
To view the How to Rock a Newscast gallery, click here.